On Wednesday, July 29, 2020, the Premier of Ontario, Doug Ford, the Minister of Education, Stephen Lecce, and the Member of Provincial Parliament for Milton, Parm Gill, announced the approval for funding for the new Milton #3 Catholic Secondary School and the Milton #10 Catholic Elementary School.
- Halton Catholic District School Board (HCDSB) is in dire need of a new secondary school and elementary school to accommodate the current and projected student population growth in Milton.
- On September 18, 2018, the Board acquired a parcel of raw development lands at the southeast corner of Louis St-Laurent and Kennedy Circle to accommodate the construction of the Board’s third Catholic secondary school in the Town of Milton. After purchasing the lands, the Board initiated the works required to prepare the lands to permit a secondary school.
- On September 30, 2019, the Board submitted its 2019-20 Capital Priorities Submission to the Ministry of Education. The Milton #3 Catholic Secondary School (CSS) project was submitted as Priority #1.
- On July 23, 2020, the Board was informed of its Capital Priorities allocation for the new Milton No.3 Catholic Secondary School to accommodate 1542 pupil places. The Board was also informed of its allocation for the new Milton No. 10 Catholic Elementary School to accommodate 671 pupil places and a 5-room child care centre.
There are additional steps in the planning and building approval process for the Milton #3 Catholic Secondary School and the Milton #10 Catholic Elementary School before construction can proceed:
- An architect must be officially appointed for the projects, along with sub-consultants to complete the design of the projects.
- Necessary permits and approvals must be obtained from the township of Milton.
- Lastly, the Ministry of Education must approve the school design.
HCDSB is very appreciative of the Ministry’s recognition of the Board’s student accommodation pressures in Milton. The recent funding approval for two new schools will be a great addition to the growing community of Milton!
To read more about this exciting announcement, please read the news release issued from MPP Parm Gill’s office.
For more information about the Milton #3 Catholic Secondary school, and the Milton #10 Catholic Elementary School, please visit the HCDSB School Planning website.
“From modernizing our curriculum to revitalizing our classrooms and their facilities, we are investing in our students and giving them every tool to achieve their full potential. “Our financing of the #3 and #10 Catholic Schools, and the SW #12 Public School, further demonstrates our government’s historic investment in Ontario’s schools and our overall commitment to supporting our students and families.” – Stephen Lecce, Minister of Education
“Today’s announcement is wonderful news for our school district as a whole, but more importantly, it is wonderful news for the families in our growing community of Milton.” – Patrick Murphy, Milton Trustee
“A new Catholic elementary school will address the rapid growth in our community,” added Trustee Duarte. “We look forward to proceeding with the next phase of the approval process so that we can begin construction on these two schools.” – Marvin Duarte, Milton Trustee & Vice-Chair of the Halton Catholic District School Board
The full HCDSB news release can be accessed here.