At a recent Board Meeting, Trustees approved a motion to proceed with a school boundary review to identify a long-term accommodation plan for the expansion of the French Immersion Program in Milton. This boundary review will involve all Catholic elementary schools in Milton.
- At the December 15, 2020 Board Meeting, staff presented the elementary French Immersion registration numbers for the 2021-2022 School Year (see Staff Report 9.2). Based on the registration numbers and the Board’s desire to expand the French Immersion Program, staff presented options for program expansion by municipality.
- For Milton, staff suggested a temporary solution to accommodate the expansion by adding two (2) Grade 1 French Immersion classes at St. Peter Catholic Elementary School for the 2021-2022 school year only.
- At the January 19, 2021 Regular Board Meeting, the Board of Trustees approved a motion to proceed with a school boundary review to identify a long-term accommodation plan that will allow for expansion of the French Immersion Program in Milton Elementary Schools. (see Action Report 8.1)
- The school boundary review process will determine Elementary French Immersion program expansion in Milton beyond the 2021-2022 school year.
- Although the primary goal of this boundary review is to accommodate the expansion of the French Immersion program in Milton, the review will also consider ‘regular track’ English programming.
School Boundary Review Committee (SBRC)
The first step in this review involves establishing a School Boundary Review Committee (SBRC) made up of parents and Board staff. The role of the SBRC is to gather and share information about the review with their school communities.
Each of the Catholic elementary school communities in Milton have been asked to provide two (2) parent representatives to serve as members of the SBRC.
The Board is hoping to have representation on the SBRC from one (1) member of our Catholic School Council, as well as one (1) parent who does not sit on the Catholic School Council.
The SBRC will meet several times throughout the review process. The meetings will be held virtually during weekday evenings and may last anywhere between 2-3 hours. The first (orientation) meeting will take place on Thursday, March 18, 2021, beginning at 6:30 p.m.
In addition to attending all SBRC meetings, SBRC members are also required to attend the public consultation meetings which will take place throughout the process.
Interested in Being a Parent Rep on the Milton SBRC?
If you are interested in serving on the Milton Elementary French School Boundary Review Committee, please let your School Principal know as soon as possible.
Need More Information?
Additional information related to this boundary review process, including background, reports, and tentative timelines is available online at: https://schoolplanning.hcdsb.org/milton-catholic-elementary-boundary-review-to-accommodate-french-immersion-expansion/