At the May 27th Special Board Meeting, the Board of Trustees approved the boundary change to redirect the Bronte Green New Development Area from St. Mary CES to St. Joan of Arc CES. The approved accommodation plan was based on the School Boundary Review Committee’s (SBRC) recommendation as presented at the May 4 Regular Meeting of the Board and May 27 Special Meeting of the Board. The approved resolution and school boundaries can be found in Action Report 4.2 Bronte Green School Boundary Review Committee Recommendation.
- Bronte Green (formerly Saw Whet Golf Course) is a new residential development area in the northwestern portion of the Town of Oakville. The development is currently under construction and the first units are expected to be complete at the earliest by late summer of 2021.
- Based on our current boundaries, the Bronte Green development (also known as the Glen Abbey Encore development) will fall within the St. Mary Catholic Elementary School boundary. St. Mary continues to face accommodation pressure due to high enrolment, while neighbouring St. Joan of Arc has seen declining enrolment over the last few years.
- The 2019 Long-Term Capital Plan (LTCP) identified the need to conduct a School Boundary Review to address enrolment pressures and determine a home school for the new community in Oakville.
- In March 2021, the Halton Catholic District School Board (HCDSB) initiated a New Development/Holding Area Administrative Standard School Boundary Review Process involving St. Mary CES and St. Joan of Arc CES.
There were two main goals of the Bronte Green New Development Area Boundary Review Process:
- Review the school attendance boundaries for St. Mary CES and St. Joan of Arc CES to support long-term sustainable enrolment at both schools;
- Complete the review with implementation to take effect for September 2021 to ensure that a home school for the Bronte Green New Development Area is determined in advance of first group of students from the new community.
What does this mean?
As of September 2021, elementary students from the Bronte Green New Development Area and nearby areas south of Upper Middle Road (study areas P19 and O18) will be directed to their new home school, St. Joan of Arc Catholic Elementary School. See Appendix B of the Action Report for approved school boundaries.
For more information:
For more information on the Bronte Green New Development Area Catholic Elementary School Boundary Review, please visit the HCDSB School Planning website.