At the November 16th Regular Board Meeting, the recommended boundary option to accommodate the expansion of the French Immersion Program in Milton was approved.
See the final action report here.
- The Town of Milton is a high growth community that continues to see new residential development, which results in high enrolment and accommodation pressures at existing Catholic elementary schools, as well as the need for new schools to meet demand in future development areas.
- Under the current status quo, St. Scholastica Catholic Elementary School is approaching and could likely exceed site capacity in the 2021-2022 school year.
- Due to these accommodation pressures at St. Scholastica Catholic Elementary School and the direction from the Board of Trustees to expand French Immersion programming for the 2021-2022 school year, a temporary alternate location was established at St. Peter CES for the 2021-2022 school year only.
- On March 16, 2021, the Board of Trustees approved a motion to undertake the expansion of the French Immersion Program by satisfying all registrations annually in each region each year starting in the 2022-2023 school year.
- As a response to these concerns, the Board initiated an Elementary School Boundary Review for the Town of Milton and established a School Boundary Review Committee (SBRC), whose goal is to identify solutions to accommodate an expanded French Immersion program in Milton.
There were two main goals of this Boundary Review Process:
- Review the school attendance boundaries for Milton elementary schools to facilitate French Immersion program expansion, which involved a comprehensive review of both Regular Track and French Immersion programming, where necessary; and,
- Work with senior staff to develop an accommodation plan for Milton Elementary Regular Track and French Immersion Students.
What Does This Mean?
The approved boundaries, as presented in Appendix C of the Action Report, will take effect for the 2022-2023 school year. Note that existing students in the French Immersion program (as of the 2021-2022 school year) at St. Benedict CES, St. Peter CES, and St. Scholastica CES, will be grandfathered at their existing French Immersion program until Grade 8.
For more information on the Milton Catholic Elementary School Boundary Review to Accommodate French Immersion Expansion, please visit the HCDSB School Planning website.
Thank you for your interest in the Milton Catholic Elementary School Boundary Review to Accommodate French Immersion Expansion.